Here are some tips to help you maximize the limited amount of time you have with your physician:
- Make sure that your provider accepts your insurance. You can call or go online to your insurance website to see a directory of in-network providers.
- When making the appointment, offer a few details about your concern so that the proper amount of time is allocated.
- Come prepared with knowledge about your family medical history and any paperwork that might help the doctor better understand your health and risk factors.
- Make a list of your current prescriptions, including the doses and frequency of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, as well as herbs, supplements and vitamins.
- Take advantage of annual preventative office visits. These appointments are typically longer and provide more time for you to ask questions and address longer-term health issues.
- Use the buddy system. ¬†It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by all the information presented during your visit. It may helpful to bring a friend or relative to help you write things down, share medical information, and talk with the health care team.